Monday, July 14, 2008

Zonealarm and Microsoft Update Problems

Last week, my computer lost connection with the Internet suddenly. I finally got it connected by connecting my computer directly to the cable modem, bypassing the wireless router, and disabling my Zonealarm firewall. I assumed it was the router causing a problem, until a got an e-mail from Zonealarm notifying me that a recent Microsoft update (on July 8th) broke the Zonealarm fire wall, and a new version of the firewall was available to fix the problem. This update worked, allowing me to connect to the Internet with Zonealarm running, but when I reconnected my D-Link router, no Internet. What was strange was that I couldn't connect to the Internet using the router with my Macbook Pro either, which is not running Zonalarm or Windows XP, of course. I did lots of searched on Google and found other people having the same problem as me with their routers, but no solutions. So I just spent an hour or more just getting my Apple to connect through the router, which required many reboots of my modem and router. Then I turned on my PC and at first it wouldn't connect, but suddenly it too was able to access the Internet and e-mail. I really don't know what I did to fix it, and don't know if it will stay fixed. At least for now, I'll stop looking to buy a new router, although, my D-Link still "hangs-up" a few times a day. During the whole process, I also re-installed the firmware for the router, thus erasing all my settings. I still have a few more filters to add before all is normal again.

Edit: D-Link router still working after 24 hour. Internet access works. Web camera works.

1 comment:

Frank martine said...

Intersting and beautiful blog lovely presentation thanks for sharing your views...

Microsoft Problem
Microsoft Update Problems