Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Navajo Rock and Galaxy Diner

Navajo Rock
Yesterday in Mesa Verde, I stopped at a site where there was a view of the valley below. From there, I could see a big rock formation. The plaque at the site showed this rock and said it was located on Navajo territory. I tried to take a photo, but the formation was too distance. Today, I drove past what I think was the same rock, as I was driving in Navajo Nation. It was hard to believe that this was visible from Mesa Verde, but even though I drove for hours to get there, my route wandered south and west this morning, so it could have been within 100 miles.

For dinner, I walked down the road to the Galaxy Diner. I guess it was semi-famous just for being located along old Route 66. I was kind of worried that it took five minutes for the waitress to get me my beer, a Fat Tire Ale, but only a few minutes to bring me my turkey dinner. Can you say "microwaved"? I must admit, the turkey plate was good and so was the service. There were only a few customers in the diner, but it was still early. My body is on Mountain Time, so at this rate I'll be asleep long before eight!

2 comments:

Homer Simpson said...

The rock has been identified as Shiprock. Thanks, Brad.

Karen said...

Brad - were we there or is Shiprock in Shiprock, NM?