Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Four Corners and Monument Valley

Four Corners
I like the setup the Indians have at Four Corners. They have fenced it off and charge $3/person to enter. The lady at the booth was nice, but seemed disappointed that I was the only one in the car. They have the site set up with an elevated deck to take photos, but I had someone standing in line behind my take me photo. In fact, the man and his family, I saw at breakfast earlier in the hotel for breakfast. I hope my feet are in all four states, as I stand up extra straight. I didn't want some funny, "on-all-fours" photo. After taking a picture of the flags flying above, I quickly left and headed to Monument Valley.


The Three Sisters In Monument Valley
Like I said in a previous post, I don't remember being at Monument Valley before, and I certainly don't remember driving on a rough dirt road in a blue Mustang. The entrance fee here was $5, and the booth was on the passenger's side, so I had to lean way over to pay the woman. I followed the dirt road to most of the sites, and I was glad I was driving a blue all-wheel drive Rav/4. The road was very bumpy and in some places sandy. Even though the speed limit was 15 mph, when I got behind a slow sedan, I found myself passing them. I wasn't too worried about getting a ticket.


Me in Monument Valley
I could have found someone to take my photo, but I set my camera on my bicycle seat (I forgot my tripod) and took this photo of me in front of the monument that is in the cover of the brochure - one of the Mittens Butte.


Monuments Galore
There were many photo opportunities, but enough is enough. After a while they all begin to look the same. It would have been neat to be there at sunset to see different colors and shadows.

After leaving, I set my GPS to Flagstaff, Arizona. As I got closer to Flagstaff, heading down the 89, I saw rain clouds in the distance. Sure enough, it began to rain and wash some of the red dust off my car, as well as cool down dramatically. I found another Super 8 hotel in the center of Flagstaff. Tomorrow I'll take my time driving to Las Vegas, possibly stopping at Boulder Dam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we went to Monument Valley we didn't drive the dirt road. We went in the visitor center, took some pictures and left. I think it was pretty late in the day.

OB

Homer Simpson said...

That would explain why I didn't see the place where the photo was taken. The visitors center was closed for remodeling.

Karen said...

I have still never been to 4 corners or monument valley!