Saturday, July 26, 2008

Comic-Con 2008: Saturday

Segal and West from Futurama Panel
I got to the Convention Center before nine and was surprised that they were letting people in to line up for each room. I somehow got a good place in line for Ballroom 20 and after 45 minutes I got a seat near the very front. The Futurama panel is always funny, and they had a preview of the 3rd new Futurama DVD, and I still haven't seen the first two.



The Simpsons
The Simpson's panel followed, with Matt Groening being the only one sitting on both. The Simpson's panel was not as funny, because they only had producers and writers, unlike the Futurama group with the four main characters participating and having a good time. They had a preview of the Halloween episode, which had a really funny scene with the Simpson's characters taking the roles of the Peanuts characters in the Charlie Brown Halloween special.



Deep Space 9 Series 2 figures
I took my chances and left the room because I needed a break and didn't want to sit through Dean Koonz. I quickly ate some food and wandered around the dealers room, snapping some quick photos. All my photos seem blurry or grainy. I was either moving when taking the photo, and some were taken of the large screen since I was sitting in the back of room 20 for the next two events.



Dollhouse
Josh Whedon was there with Eliza Dushku and Tahmoh Penikett (plays Helo on BSG) to talk about his new series Dollhouse. Josh in never serious and always has something funny to say and Eliza seem to be having fun, but Tahmoh seemed a bit out of place. He returned for the next panel where he fit in better. They played a shot preview of Dollhouse, and it is hard to tell if it is going to be any good or not. So far, Fox has agreed to 12 episodes, and all they have shot is the pilot.




This panel was very entertaining because Kevin Smith was the moderator. In the previous panels, they followed the "new" guidelines of not swearing, but Kevin didn't care, and once he started, it turned into an anything-goes discussion. They also had a short preview of scenes from the final 10 episodes, which have already been shot, but they were careful not to give away any secrets, such as who the "5th" cylon is or how the series ends.




I left at six and met up with my sister and her friends at Dick's Last Resort for dinner. Most of the staff was dressed up in costume, including our waitress, who looked much more "blue" than this photo shows.

After dinner, I headed home to rest up for tomorrow. I plan to buy some more stuff (I bought three bobble-heads for $10 today) and catch a few more panels.

No comments: