Monday, June 30, 2008

Canyonlands National Park - Needles District

Newspaper Rock
Once again, I got an early start to the day. I left the hotel before 7AM and stopped to eat breakfast at an advertised breakfast-only restaurant. My omelet would have been better without the BIG piece of broken hard-plastic inside! The staff apologized profusely and made me a new dish, even though I had eaten half the meal. They also compensated my meal, so I just left a tip for the waitress because it was not her fault. So if you eat at the Jailhouse Cafe in Moab, be careful of your food.

I headed south and followed the entrance to Canyonlands National Park. This was the Needles district. Before entering the park, there is a stop along the road where you can view an ancient petroglyphs on a rock.


Needles in Canyonlands
I was the only one at the visitors center. The ranger said there were few people because of the heat. She highlighted the best places to see if a few hours. So I followed the map and stopped at each one. The trails were less than one mile at each site, which was good for my blister-ridden feet. The photo above is of a needle that this section of the park is named after.


Artifacts at Cave Springs
The hike at Cave Springs was the best. The path led to this 1800s camping site underneath a large rock hangover. The trail then followed a path that required climbing two short ladders, nothing that required skill or had height issues.


Close up of Needle
To get to the best of the needles required a long hike or an off-road trail. I had done enough hiking and my car has four wheel drive, but it doesn't have the clearance or power that might have been required to traverse the dirt roads. So I zoomed in with my camera, that is why the features (on the second photo) look a little hazy.

I started to take another hike, but I was told by some hikers that it took two hours, and since it was starting to get very hot, I decided to cut the hike short and return to my car. I then drove out of the park and by 2 PM arrived at my hotel in Cortez, CO. My room wasn't ready yet, but by the time I put my clothes in the washer and read a brochure, my room was done. I've already found a brewery to dine at for dinner and will plan my day at Mesa Verde.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You found the cowboy camp and climbed the ladders. That's most of the good stuff in the Needles district.

OB