Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back On Track

Silliness aside, I'm just about finished with my trip preparation. I bought some biking shorts and blister pads, tested my bike rack by taking my bike with me to REI and completed a few important computer-related tasks. I wanted to make sure my Garmin GPS was updated with the maps I need, but when I searched for Moab, UT, it couldn't find that city. So I loaded the maps I had downloaded to the unit and realized I didn't go far enough east. When updating the GPS with new maps, you can't just add more, you need to reload the entire map file. So I created and uploaded a 200 MB map file which included detailed maps of all of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, California and Arizona. Then I was looking at my planned route using Street Atlas on my PC and realized that I needed to get that route to the copy running on my Apple under Parallels. So I had to find where the route file was stored. Then copy it to the folder shared with my MAC. Then on the MAC I copied it to the folder shared with Parallels. Then I started Parallels, started Street Atlas and imported the route file. The whole task was not too difficult, but required too many steps.

I also made a list of items to bring with me, each listed under categories such as biking, camping, hiking, driving and computing. I also began to gather all these items and put them together in bags and boxes. I should have my car preloaded by Tuesday evening so that when I come home from work on Wednesday I can throw in a few last-minute items such as my cooler and head off to my first stop - Bishop, CA.

No comments: