Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Miramar Lake Bike Ride

Lake Miramar
For the first time since before September of 2001 I rode my bike around Lake Miramar. Why has it been so long since I've taken this ride? Because the the path across the dam was closed after September 11th and it just reopened yesterday. The path leading to the dam has barbed wire lined fences on both sides, which made it seem like I was riding around or into a prison. However, the path on the dam itself only has a fence on the lake side, allowing an unobstructed view to the west towards the ocean. It was kind of hazy, so the visibility wasn't that good, but still looked nice with the sun low in the sky.

My plan for the day had been to wake up early and drive to the bike path that runs along side highway 56, and then ride my bike all the way from Black Mountain Road to Interstate 5 and back - a 16 mile ride. But since I got invited to an impromptu party last night, I ended up sleeping in until 1o AM. Then I realized I had no hot water. So I spent the next hour fixing that. I think what happened was when they were installing my new furnace, they shut off the main gas, causing the hot water heater's pilot light to go out. So after reading the instructions on the hot water heater, I ignited the pilot light and an hour later I had hot water once again. So at least I now know how to do that. Someday I should drain the hot water tank. They say this should be done once a year, but I've never done it, and the hot water heater is 11 years old. I'm thinking of having it replaced with a tankless water heater. They're more expensive, but are more energy efficient and will save you money in the long run.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Homer Simpson said...

Why would you surf the web just to insult people? I had useful info about the ride, the fact that the dam is open. What else do you want to know? It is 5 miles around and mostly flat.

Homer Simpson said...

Checking back on your flaming remark are you? There are some people who might be interested in hot water heaters.