Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm Ready for my Hike

After a near disaster yesterday, I'm ready for the hike up Mt. Whitney. As I was setting my tent up in my living room to make sure it had all necessary parts, a pole broke! So a quick trip to REI for an exchange and I have a brand new tent. I tested it and it works fine and it is packed away will all my other equipment, including six pounds of food and enough water bottles to hold nine liters of water. Now, I will never carry that much, but once we hit Trail Camp, I'll filter as much water as I can for dinner and breakfast plus the summit hike the next morning. Now we're talking about leaving earlier on Sunday, and if we get to camp early enough, we feel rested and the weather is clear, to attempt a summit that evening. We would get to the peak before sunset but would be walking down using our head lights, which would be kind of fun. However, I don't see everyone agreeing to this plan. Another possible change in plans is that Paula might join us. She had summited Whitney several times. It is good to have people with experience. So, wish us luck and I'll be reporting the results next week.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Wave at us from the top! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck and be safe.

OB