Saturday, July 07, 2007

7/7/7

Today was an interesting day. I didn't to anything of note myself. If fact I only left the house once to get gas (only $2.91 at Costco) and buy some last minute food for the week and the hikes tomorrow and next week. I did spend a lot of time watching television, including the Live Earth concerts in high-def on Universal HD. I only saw a few performances, including Duran Duran and Madonna. Both sounded good. Yes, I'm still living in the 80s. I have also been keeping my eye on some big fires north of Lone Pine that are burning in the Owens Valley. They have closed a section of 395 and are about to evacuate the city of Independence. This fire, if it keeps burning and spreads, could affect our Mt. Whitney adventure next week. I know, I shouldn't worry about stuff beyond my control like fires and weather, but I feel I'm in the best hiking shape of my life and I don't want anything stopping me from summiting Whitney.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Here's the beginning of your movie. We open with a group of friends on detox diets and training hard. As they summit San Jacinto everyone cheers and we cut to opening credits. The voice over tells the story of 14,495 feet there is a summit. Attempting the summit is a feat that has to surpass the challenges of hail, snow, lightening, extreme heat, thin air, and out of shape friends. The group continues training. What can they do? The week approaches and what? Fire? Will the mountain burn down? Will the firefighters close the streets? Will smoke kill the remaining oxygen for all hikers? Stay tuned movie viewers. We're still in the middle of stuff. No one knows what will happen next or how it will end. We only know that on July 17th, there will be an end.