Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thule 963 Bike Rack

Thule 963
Today I bought my 3rd bike rack for my Rav4. My first bike rack broke the first time I used it. My second rack I used several times until I bashed my nose into it, after which I destroyed it. This new rack holds two bikes and when not in use the rack folds down flush with the spare tire, which will keep me from having another nose emergency. The rack was very easy to install. I just had to remove the spare tire, place the bracket on, replace the tire and then attach the main rack. It seems to be fastened securely, but I haven't actually tried using it with my bike yet. I know I'll need bungee cords to keep the bike from moving around. The rack can be locked in, but I'm afraid that if I lock it and the lock breaks or I loose my key, then I won't be able to get the spare tire off. It will get tested well during my two week summer vacation road trip.

Updated 07/13/2008: The Thule rack worked great on my 2800 mile road trip. It held my bike securely, with the help of two bungee cords. I'm very happy with this purchase.

4 comments:

Karen said...

don't you get 2 keys with each lock? Put on on your car key chain and the other in the glove box.

Homer Simpson said...

Yes, I have two keys, and I was going to do what you said. However, on my first bike rack, the lock broke and I couldn't unlock it even with the key, and so I couldn't get my bike off the rack. So I took the bike rack off the car with the bike on it and left it at Toyota to fix.

PaulyT said...

Out of curiosity, what year is your RAV4? I've been having trouble getting the Thule 963 to attach to the mount on my 2007 RAV4.

Homer Simpson said...

It is a 2001. I had no problems with the rack. I think I read a review where someone had touble mounting the rack on their newer Rav4 because of the spare tire cover. My spare tire did not come surrounded in a hard-plastic cover like the newer Rav4s do.