Friday, May 23, 2008

Google Earth and You Tube

I have been using Google Earth for some time now. It is a great program that is useful in planning trips, both driving and hiking. Google is constantly adding more information, or layers to the maps, and one of the new layers is You Tube videos. I had recently created a You Tube account but had not uploaded any videos to it. After reading several help sites, I finally figured out how to have my videos show up in Google Earth. It was quite simple. First, upload the video to You Tube. Then, select the option where you enter the date, time and location of when/where the video was taken. To select the location, you drag a balloon icon on a Google map and place it at the location. The map is kind of small and it took some time to find the exact location. Then, if you wait about 24 hours, the video will be available on Google Earth. You need to select the You Tube option in the Gallery list to see the You Tube icons. Just click the icon to play the video. I have uploaded about six videos so far. For the fun of it, see if you can find them. They are under my username "reelds9", and can be found at Cedar Breaks National Monument, Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City, Kennecott Copper Mine in Utah, Iron Mt. in San Diego and the Virgin River Gorge Drive on I15.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Excellent! I'll check them out when I get home.

Homer Simpson said...

I added my movie at the top of Mt. Whitney, but it still hasn't showed up on GE. I'll try uploading another Mt. Whitney video.

Homer Simpson said...

Now both Mt. Whitney videos are on GE and I'm adding a third at Trail Crest. Feel free to rate the movies.

Homer Simpson said...

Now look for Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon.