Saturday, April 08, 2006

You Can Never Go Home Again

Childhood Home is Sold.
Pictured above is how the house that I grew up in looked just days before the buyer took ownership. There were a few tall weeds in the front yard, but the flowers and fruit trees that my Dad planted and took care of were thriving in the spring air. The new owner had plans to remodel the house, but he said he would try to keep most of the trees and as much of the house as he could. After all, the house was old but the roof was new. Well, the house sat for almost six months with nothing happening. It looked abandoned. Then I drove by and to my horror, all the fruit trees that my Dad planted and were taken care of by my Mom and the rest of the family, trees that had been there since 1969, like the fig tree, were gone! The whole yard was wiped clear of all vegatation and covered with wood chips.

So I drive by the house again this week because I heard that the yard had been graded and I saw the worst thing possible - the house was all but destroyed. Only the foundation and some of the frame were left. Now I was shocked but not surprised. It would have been hard to remodel the home as it was. My Dad always hoped that one of his children would move into the house after he was gone, but we all had our own homes and it would have been lots of work to fix the house up. I'm interested in seeing how the new house looks. Like all the other houses in the neighbor hood that were remodeled after being sold by the original owners, it probably will be an unrecognizable mansion. So, like they say, you can never go home again.


House Destroyed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sad but a true sign of the times for sure.

Karen said...

It's better! Now we don't have to think about it sitting there all alone. A new family can make it their home and no one else will ever occupy "our home."