Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Web Hosting

I finally upgraded my personal home page. For the past seven years, I have hosted my home page with my ISP, Roadrunner. They give you only 5 MB per account. Since I put my vacation photos on my home page, I have had to delete old photos before uploading new ones. So last week I bought one year of web hosting from GoDaddy.com. Since I prepaid for one year, it is only costing me $3.16/month for 500 MB of storage. The average is $8 to $15 for that much space. How can this company charge so little? Here is my guess. When you register a domain name or buy web hosting, they make you go through a dozen upgrade offers, each costing an extra $2/month or $10/year. By skipping these choices you finally end up at the page where you get your total and pay. Enough people must pay for the extras that GoDaddy must make enough money to survive in this cut-throut market. GoDaddy also offers cheap domain registration and transfers. I transferred one of my domains (from a company that was charging me $30/year) plus I added two more year of registration for just $24. I researched GoDaddy and they are a reputable company (BBB and ICANN accredited), plus a friend of mine has been using them for years with no problems. With all this new disk space, I can now upload more video and audio to be linked to this blog.

No comments: