Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Riots in Greece

No Riots in Syntagma Square
I've been reading about the riots in Greece. Two years ago I might have payed very little attention to this headline news, but having been in Athens just over a year ago, and reading about youths burning a Christmas tree in Syntagma Square (pictured above) where I walked through several time, the news caught my eye. I don't know what would have happened if the riots broke out while I was there last Thanksgiving.

Even though we didn't go to Venice, Italy, I also noticed the article about the recent flooding in Venice, having just been in Italy. In fact, any article about a country I've visited in the last four years catches my attention. I read about how Peru was trying to get a university in the US to return some artifacts taken from Machu Picchu. I guess this is what it is like to be "world traveler".

No comments: