Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Art in New Orleans

4-D World Map
There is more to do in New Orleans than drink. Apparently I ended up taking many photos of a city-wide art exhibit, called Prospect.1. I was just taking pictures of interesting objects, many of which turned out to be part of this art show, I believe. The photo above was taken in the back courtyard of the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park office. The camera could not capture the full effect. Viewed from the right distance and angle, the hanging boards formed a three dimensional map of the world. There were actually four layers, so that is why I call this a "4-D" art.



Side View of 4-D Art
This is a photo taken from a side view, so you can see the four layers. Each board had printed text, which I'm not sure of the meaning, but overall it was a nice, accidental find.



Me Playing a Keyboard
No blog post would be complete without me posing with some statue. This was close to our hotel. I'm sure this statue was of someone important, but it was late and dark and we did not make note of who he was.



Streetcar Art
There were these painted streetcar models all over the French Quarter. I know this one looks more like a coffin, which is still appropriate for New Orleans, but it is a streetcar painted with colorful hearts. The best one we saw was decorated with people, making it look more like a streetcar.



Laughing Junk Art
As we were walking near the place where there is a good view of Jackson Square, we heard this strange sound, that we thought was an underground subway. Then we saw this display of "junk", and realized there was a speaking playing the sound of people laughing. The art work consisted of junk that washed ashore during hurricane Katrina. This exhibit was rather unique.



Blue Dog Everywhere
We kept seeing this blue dog all over town. I first noticed it in a painting of the Blues Brothers, as in Jake and Elwood, who were also painted blue. I mentioned that there was no dog in the movie, but I didn't realize until the next day the connection between the dog and the painting. This photo of the blue dog was on the side of a hotel, so it is bigger than it looks.

No comments: