Sunday, October 21, 2007

New Rear Derailleur

Much Better
I finally got to test my new rear derailleur, the replacement for the one I mangled on that ill-fated bike ride a few weeks back. I opted for a shorter ride, but I still tackled the dreaded hill that I've only ridden up once before. For some reason, it seemed much shorter and less steep than I remembered. Maybe because I knew what to expect, plus I was riding a different bike.

Once at the top of the hill, I take a road back home that, based on the number of roadside memorials, is rather dangerous. There seems to be about one death per year on this stretch of Pomerado Road. If fact, one weekend while I was out of town, there was some fatality near my home. I don't know what happened, but I saw a group of people standing around some flowers and a cross by the road. However, a week later the flowers and cross were gone, but there was another memorial on the other side of the road about a 100 yards away. Then a few weeks later that was gone and the flowers and cross reappeared at the original spot. I have no idea what's going on. Maybe if I searched The Google I'd find an article on the accident.

3 comments:

Homer Simpson said...

I'm glad I took my bike ride early, before the air heated up and filled with smoke and ash. There's a fire burning up by Ramona, and there is an erie, brown glow in the air from the smoke and ash. I don't like to see that, it brings back bad memories of the big fire that started almost four years ago today.

Anonymous said...

The Ramona fire is about 18 miles due east of our house and headed this way. Lots of smoke but I doubt it will ever get here.

OB

Homer Simpson said...

I have so much nervous energy that I went to the gym this afternoon for a workout. That didn't help. As I drove home the sky had a very evil orange glow and ash was falling like snow. I hope I can sleep tonight. I don't think the fire will reach my house either because of the new housing development in south Poway where the hills have been graded and where there once was dry brush there is now dirt and fire resistant houses.