Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I'm Back at Home!

I got the news that they were allowing residents of my neighborhood back home, so I packed up and left my sister's house. I took the long route home so I could check on my brother's house, but I could only get with 1/4 mile. However, there was no evidence of homes near by being damaged by fire. Back on the freeway, there was still some brush smoldering, and I saw some the homes in the Westwood area, which was hardest hit by the fire, destroyed by the fire. Very sad, because I have friends that lost their home there. I'm hoping for normalcy tomorrow, as in returning to work.

Note: I did have a reverse 911 call on my answering machine. That is a first for me. It looks like the call came at 6:21PM, but the news stations were saying to evacuate before 2PM.

2 comments:

MCR said...

Hi there,

Enjoyed your Whitney post! So, here is the dilemma, I'd like to try to summit with a friend, but don't know if I am in good enough shape. I workout daily, bike for a couple of hours or swim for an hour, or gym, etc. But I haven't been hiking much at all lately. Do you think it's a much harder hike than Half dome?

Homer Simpson said...

Wow, a post not about fires. How nice. I have never hiked Half Dome, but I have read that Mt. Whitney is much harder. What stops people from reaching the summit is usually the altitude, and everyone reacts to the thin air differently. Some people in great shape get altitude sickness, while others who don't exercise much at all seem to have no problem hiking the 22 mile round trip from 8000ft to 14400ft and back. It is best to go on a warm-up hike up some mountain that is at least 11,000 feet high, like San Jacinto. There are many trails up that mountain. I have blog posts on three of them if you search my blog. Good luck.