Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mt Charleston Hike

Mary Jane Trail

I felt good enough to go for a hike today. Mark, Dan and I drove over to Mt. Charleston, about a 30 minute drive from Mark's house. The elevation of the trail head was 7700 feet, and it was interesting to feel the temperature drop from 100+ in the valley to the lower 70s. It is hard to believe that there is an area this nice so close to Las Vegas. The air was smog free. We hiked the Mary Jane trail, which leads to a waterfall. The trail is only 3 miles round trip, but with an 1000 feet elevation gain, it seems longer, plus we took our time.

Mark, Dan and I

The waterfall wasn't flowing very fast, but since it falls quite a distance down a tall cliff, it was still worth the hike. Every so often, the wind would kick up and blow the water on us. We then hiked back to the car and drove to a nearby lodge for a lunch on their outdoor patio. We all had the club sandwich, which was very filling with tons of turkey and toppings. This all led to an afternoon nap where we are getting ready to go out to see another, hopefully more funny, comedian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to San Diego! It was good to see you in Vegas and I enjoyed the hike. Let me know if you want to do Iron Mountain when I get back from Yosemite.

Homer Simpson said...

Thanks, Dan. Just to let you know, I made a wrong turn trying to get onto I15 in LV and had to make a u-turn. I never saw your car on the way home. You must have been in front of me the whole way.