Thursday, August 16, 2007

More Homeowners Association Dealings

That's what I get for going to a homeowners association meeting. I got an e-mail from the president asking me I could have my condo inspected for a water meter connection. They want to put water meters on every unit so we pay our own water bill, which I think is a great idea. I was already thinking of having some plumbing work done, like a new tankless water heater and having my main water shut-off valve replaced. So I said yes and this morning they came by and did a quick inspection of the plumbing in my "B" unit. I had more questions for the contractor than he had for me. Once we get the water meters, then I will be able to use my own water to wash my cars, which will be more convenient than driving to my brother's house.

Last month the issue of monthly newsletter had an article about the problems of the condos across the street. They have 5.8 million dollars of work to fix all the neglected repairs. The homeowners will have to pay $688/month for 15 years! I'm glad I didn't buy a condo there. I feel much better about the high dues I pay, which was probably the reason for the article in the first place.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just try selling a condo with $688/month for 15 years!

OB

Anonymous said...

While your at it have your regulator valve inspected or replaced. This valve is crucial for having the right amount of pressure in your condo! Also, I am one of those unfortunate condo owners WHO IS paying $560.00 a month in assesments because of those same kinds of problems and the age of our condos!!!!

Homer Simpson said...

I asked about the pressure regulator and they said the condos don't have one, which would explain why sometimes my water pressure is low.

Anonymous said...

That seems odd.

OB

Anonymous said...

That seems very odd to me too! My condo has one. I would get a second opinion on that one.

Karen said...

Make sure the water payment only applies to what you use inside. If the gardeners or neighbors use your outside water and you have to pay for it, that would be a big bummer.

But, if this goes well, you HOA fees should go down and your personal water bill won't be that much.