Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Cedar Breaks National Monument

Me at Cedar Breaks I finally felt good enough today to leave Salt Lake City. I got more sleep last night after going to Chuck-A-Rama for dinner. My destination was St. George, with a possible stop at Cedar Breaks National Monument. Since I didn't make it to Great Basin National Park, I wanted to visit one park today, and Cedar Breaks was on the way and I had never been there before. I didn't realize that it was above 10,000 feet. As I drove up the road, the air cooled quickly. The scenery was lush and green, with forests and meadows. Then I caught a glimpse of the monument. The bright red rocks stand out among the surrounding landscape. I stopped and took several photos before making it to the park entrance.

Red Rocks There was a great view of the park, and I even caught a lecture by a ranger who told us how the monument was formed. I then bought a tee shirt at the visitors center and drove back down to Cedar City. I wish I had more time to spend there and had felt better. There was a four mile hike that led down to a great view point, but I was still feeling tired from being sick the last three days.

I arrived at St. George before 6, checked into this wonderful Motel 6 (where I'm getting wireless from the hotel next door), and had a steak, chicken and shrimp trio Fajita for dinner, plus two beers. I really must be feeling better. Tomorrow it is off to Vegas to meet up with two friends and catch up on old times.

No comments: