Sunday, May 14, 2006

Testing out new hiking equipment

I went on a "make-up" hike today. I missed the last authorized hike, plus, I wanted to test out some new hiking gear. Yesterday I bought new hiking boots. I started looking at REI because they were having a big sale. However, the boot section was packed with people and kids running around screaming like it was a McDonald's playland. So I ran out of the store screaming and drove to Adventure 16. Now talk about service! The saleswoman that helped me buy my boots must have spent one hour making sure I got the best boots for me. She started off by measuring my feet in three different places. Then she had me put on some good socks, new ones right off the shelf that I didn't even have to buy (but I did), placed the boots on me and laced them up. After I walked around the store for a few minutes, she asked me if how they felt. I said there were a few places they were rubbing, so she took the boots off and used an iron rod thing to expand the boots in those areas. She also fitted the boots with Super Feet insoles, which should help my back and knees, and she showed me how to tie a double knot. I was really happy with their service and will definitely go back to A16 to buy more.

On today's hike, I also used my new hiking poles, which are ultra light and have a anti-shock mechanism. My new Camel Pack has a three liter hydration pack, which supplied plenty of water for the hike. I also placed four books in the pack for added weight, because on the Whitney hike I'll have a full backpack that weights closer to 40 lbs, and I need to get used to the extra weight. And believe me, as I sit here typing this and drinking a Stone Pale Ale, I feel the extra weight in my leg muscles and knees. Hopefully we'll go one some hikes soon at altitude, because the thin air can be more challenging that the extra weight.

No comments: