Friday, February 27, 2009

Joseph Michael Cofrancesco

I just got home from attending a funeral and wake for Joey, who passed away recently. I didn't know Joey very well, but he was my friend's cousin and I had seen him several times over the years at various parties and event. I feel I know him much better today, which is kind of sad, now that he is gone. The funeral was held at the same place where we had the services for my Dad four years ago this month. I was feeling weird as a drove up and parked, but once I sat down, not in the front row, I felt better. It was a nice service, where Joey's life was celebrated and we were encouraged to laugh and not cry, and yes, everyone did laugh at a few of the stories told about Joey. I knew the place might fill up so I got there early, and yes, there were about 20 people standing in the back during the hour-long service.

Then there was a wake held at the Bernardo Heights country club. They ran out of parking and tables, but arranged some seating outside, which was fine because it was a nice, sunny day. I sat with my friend's, met a few people, said hi to the family, including Joey's daughter and father, who ironically was the one who bought my Dad's ride-on lawn mower four years ago. Joey's dad is, unfortunately, not in good health, but did remember me.

Tonight I might go see my friend's son play basketball, and tomorrow perhaps I'll do my taxes and then drop by a friend's house that just got rebuilt after the October 2007 wildfires.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oddly, there's something comforting about knowing that all Poway/RB people end up together at the same place. We'll all be with our friends and family and party.

Bonnie and David said...

How sad for his family! He was so young.