Sunday, May 20, 2007

They Might Be Giants in Concert

Last night my sister and I saw They Might be Giants at the Belly Up tavern. It's been over two years since I've seem Them play live. This was a "secret" concert, I guess they were warming up for their upcoming shows in support of Their new album. Like all bands, They played many songs from Their new album, which was just released only on itunes, so I doubt many people, including me, knew any of these songs. The audience, which was rather tame compared to audiences in past shows, clapped politely after each of the new songs, but really wanted to hear all the classics. Luckily, They played most of Their biggest hits, some not until the the first or second encore. With so many songs in Their library, it would be impossible for Them to play everybody's favorite. I was hoping for at least one tune from No!, Their so-called children's album. We stood in the back of the packed hall, with a good view of the stage, until a man taller than me stood in front of us. How dare he! No one is allowed to be taller than me! Luckily he moved in front of someone else, leaving just me being the one blocking the views of others. Overall, it was an enjoyable concert, even though I'm still recovering from a bad sore throat, which kept me from singing along.

I must mention the opening act, Let's Go Sailing. TMBGs always find an interesting but unknown group to open Their shows. This band played technically sound music, with a lead singing who had a good voice, but their music was soft, not quite boring, but it didn't exactly get the audience going, as their was lots of chatter during their performance.

Now I'm relaxing, trying to get healthy before flying to Key West tomorrow. I don't want to be sick while sitting on a plane all day. I've already turned down an offer to go to another street fair in Little Italy, and will probably turn down a chance to go hiking this afternoon. No, instead I'm watching TV, at one point I was watching The Weather Channel because there was nothing better to watch this morning. How pathetic! The Padres play in an hour, so that'll kill three hours of the day.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Where's the picture? I know you took some.