Friday, May 25, 2007

Last on the Airplane

Well, I made it home from Key West last night, but just barely. I left KW on an earlier flight than scheduled, and once I arrived in Miami, I saw my flight to Dallas was delayed a few hours. When I finally got an American Airlines representative to talk to me, I found out that all flights in and out of Dallas were delayed several hours due to weather, and the weather was getting worse. They were starting to tell passengers to book a hotel for the night - not something I wanted to do. So after thinking about how to get home, I decided to see if I could get a flight to Los Angeles. The ticket agent said she could get me on the next flight, but I'd have to run because it was boarding in ten minutes, and the gate was 20 minutes away. She also got me a seat on a flight from LA to San Diego. So I jogged/walked fast from one end of the airport to the other and arrived at the gate before they started boarding. Once on the plane, I was lucky enough not to have a center seat! Flying over Texas, I saw the storms causing delays, with flashes of lightening everywhere. When we landed at LA, I rushed off the plane to catch the shuttle to the commuter terminal. Once there, I looked at the departing flights and mine was not listed! The agent took my boarding pass, and with a perplexed look on his face, he typed about a thousand characters into the keyboard and finally said he'd put me on standby for the flight leaving now. I was number 15 on the list, and all but two people made it on - me not one. So I was put on standby for the next and last flight to SD, where I was number six. My name was the last called and I was the last passenger on the plane. So I arrived in San Diego at 11:15PM, however, my one checked bag was somewhere between Miami and Dallas. I'm still waiting for the phone call this morning telling me my bag is on the way. I just saw on the news that flights were delayed into SD due to a software error at an air traffic control center. There is nothing important in my bag, but I'd like to get out of the house sometime soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Running though airports and being last on the plane. At least it wasn't a transatlantic flight!

OB

Homer Simpson said...

The status of my checked bag has gone from "late" to "unknown". Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

The status of the engine for Lorie's Mustang has gone from unknow to in transit to San Diego. The freight company lost it in Phoenix. Maybe your bag will follow suit.

OB

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safe!

Karen said...

Really, for a family who has always been early and never late, it's strange that we seem to be always hearing our names announced for last call at airports!