Sunday, May 13, 2007

Not Quite to Joshua Tree

Very Close to Joshua Tree National Park
Well, we almost made it to Joshua Tree National Park. After a night of drinking and fun, nobody was in the mood to drive to the park and hike. Luckily, the park lies just one mile from my friend's house in Desert Hot Springs. So we jumped over his back fence and started hiking. We followed various man-made and perhaps coyote trails up the hills. Each time we got to a peak, there was yet another peak ahead. I brought my GPS so I could see where we were in relation to the park boundary. At one point the GPS said we were 800ft away. So we hiked what we thought was 800ft to the next peak, and the GPS still said 800ft to go. By this time we were getting tired, as the trails led straight up the steep hills. So we turned around and re-traced our steps back to the house where I jumped into the pool and was instantly refreshed. The house lies at 1400 feet above sea level, and the highest point of our hike was at 2300 feet. So it was a decent workout and my legs feel sore today.

No comments: