Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Bike Ride

Memorial As planned, I went for a bike ride this Memorial Day. In the past, I've driving my bike down towards the beach and then ridden along the boardwalk. However, it gets so crowded I can't enjoy my ride. So I this year I rode from my house up to and along the road that passes by the Mimamar Marine Air Station. As I was peddling, I remembered that a bicyclist was killed by a careless drive here a few years ago. Shortly after, I came across this memorial in his honor. I had forgotten that he was a Marine, so the memorial, with the American and Marine flags had extra meaning today. I worry about being hit by a car all the time, and the path I took today takes me over three major freeways, where there are on and off ramps where drivers speed by, not necessarily watching for bike riders like me. I, of course, got home safely and enjoyed my ride, plus it was a great workout for my legs that are still sore from my Saturday morning hike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've now had three colisions with moving vehicles. Only one broken bone. The last two were due to driver stupidity and they sure got an earful.

OB