Friday, June 23, 2006

Ready for Camping and Hiking

I made my last trip to REI today and bought a compass. So now I am ready for camping and hiking. I'm leaving Saturday morning and driving to Horseshoe Meadows for a little hiking and camping. Sunday everyone else will be arriving at Lone Pine and we'll be in a hotel for the night. Monday we start our hike up Mt. Whitney to Outpost Camp, which is only 3.8 miles up the trail. That means Tuesday morning we'll need to wake up early so we can summit before noon and then hike all the way back to Whitney Portal. Tuesday will be a rough day. After a shower in the hotel, beer and pizza awaits us. We'll be driving home on Wednesday. The current weather forecast is for a 10% chance of afternoon thunder showers on the mountain. Hopefully we'll be in the other 90% chance of sun. According to recent hiking reports, there is still plenty of snow on the switchbacks, so everyone wish for warm sunshine this weekend. If I end up standing at the bottom of the switchbacks yelling "nooooooooooooooo" like Darth Vader I just might turn to the dark side too. Yes the mountain will always be there, but I'm not getting younger and my knees are not getting stronger.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Have a great weekend!