Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Summer Vacation 2009: Day 1

View From Hotel Room
Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to finish these posts on my Summer 2009 vacation. I have to admit that I've neglected by blogging ever since I've started facebooking. But here I go.

I only had one week for my Summer vacation, so I maximized it by leaving on Friday by taking an extra day off work. My goal was to drive to a city just outside Sequoia National Park. I found a cheap hotel in the city of Three Rivers. I left San Diego around 10 AM, knowing that it would take me about six hours to get there. I made the mistake of driving through LA on a Friday. I thought that there would be no traffic at this time, but I hit stop-and-go traffic from the 5/405 split all the to the 5/14 split. That is a lot of distance to be stuck in traffic. Once I got to the grapevine I was fine. I should have taken the alternate route up 15 to 395 to 58 to 5.

I checked into my hotel by 4 PM, got some dinner from a Pizza Factory within walking distance, and got to bed early for my first for full day in Sequoia National Park, a park I'd had never been to before, even though it is so close to my home.

No comments: