Friday, July 24, 2009

Comic-Con 2009: Day 2

24
I somehow arrived at the Convention Center right at 10 and walked right in. My goal was to be in room 20 by 11:45 for the Caprica/Battlestar Galactica: The Plan panel. I was able to walk right into this room too, but even though there was no wait they were still making people walk what seemed like 10 miles just to get in. All the events I wanted to see today were in room 20, but I knew that I would have to leave for lunch at one point.

Since I was seated before 10:30, I ended up seeing the Stargate Universe panel. I must have been one of the seven people in the room (they made fun of us) that was not a regular Stargate watcher. It's not like I don't like the show, it's just that that I can't watch every TV show out there that might interest me.


Next was the BSG: The Plan/Caprica panel. I kept getting confused as to which show they were discussing, and which was being released on DVD only and which was going to be aired on SyFy next year. This panel wasn't very interesting because Edward James Olmos was the only actor there I knew (until Grace Park made a late appearance), and producers are not only boring, they tend to talk way to much.

After it was over, I made my way out. As I did I looked at the line to get back in and it was loooooong!


So I ate a quick lunch, outside in the nice sun, and walked back to get in line once again. It was 1:30 and I figured I'd never get in by 3. This year they had the line outside and provided tents for shade along the way which was nice. The line outside kept moving, but not the line inside. But finally the people near the beginning of the line were moving, and eventually the ripple effect made it to me and within 10 minutes I was back in room 20. The wait in line was one hour total, which is really boring when you are by yourself.

I caught the end of the 24 panel. The only actors I knew were Kiefer Sutherland and Katee Sackhoff, who I did not know was now in the cast of 24. She moved on from BSG pretty quick.




After 24 was the Bones panel. They introduced Emily Deschanel, who walked onto the stage with loud applause, but then announced that David Boreanaz could not make it because his wife was about to give berth. They played a taped message from him where he rambled-on for a few minutes. There was a director there too, but he was boring. So it was up to Emily to entertain the crowd and she did.


Finally, the big event for the day for me was the Dollhouse and Joss Whedon panel, which included Eliza Dushku, the star of the show. It was funny, on all the other panels there was a moderator, but not for this one. Joss just walked-out on stage with no introduction and everyone clapped loudly for him. They he introduced Eliza and she too get a warm welcome. They immediately played the unaired episode of Dollhouse, Epitaph One. This was a really good episode, but I almost see why Fox did not show it. The episode completely changes the direction of the show, taking place in the year 2019. It consisted of many back-flashes, but most of it took place in the future where only one of the actors was in any of the scenes. However, they said that during season 2 of Dollhouse they would address some of what we saw in this episode.

After sitting in poorly designed seats all day, my back was ready to stand up and leave. I made a quick run through the main floor and proceeded to a local Irish pub for a beer and food. Tomorrow will be the busiest day, and I'll be lucky if I see one of my planned events, but at least my sister will be there so I won't have to do everything alone.

No comments: