Saturday, July 25, 2009

Comic-Con 2009: Day 3

Family Guy
Despite getting to the convention center later than I had planned due to lack of sleep caused by a planned power outage in my neighborhood from 11PM to 6AM. It seems that all the activity was outside my home and I kept waking up to strange noises and no electricity. Anyways, I was once again standing in line to get into room 20 and just when I though I wasn't going to make it in time to see the Family Guy panel, the line started moving. I got into the room just as they were introducing the cast and crew. Of the four panels I saw today, this was the funniest. They showed a preview of the Family Guy Empire Strikes Back episode, and for those of you who have seen their take of Star Wars, this one looks just as good. The panel members also were having fun on stage, as you can see by this photo of Seth Green and others after a romp under the table.


The Cleavland Show
Immediately following Family Guy was The Cleavland Show panel. This show is a spin-off of The Family Guy, a show about Cleavland and his new family. I didn't know most of the actors, the one I did know, Jammie Kennedy, I was surprised to see since he just joined the cast of The Ghost Whisperer last year. The previews they showed for this show didn't really make me want to set my DVR to record all new episodes, but you never know how good a show is until six of seven episodes in.


FuturamaI'd have to say that the most disappointing event of the day was the Futurama panel. It has always been one of the funniest, but, as announced by Hypnotoad, none of the cast were there. It seems there is some "disagreement" between the studio and the producers, or something. So all we had to hear from were the writers and directors, plus Matt Groening. Plus, since there isn't any new episodes in production yet, they had nothing to show. So they answered questions from the audience and Matt gave away something free to each person who did, which was nice. One person, dressed as Nibbler, got a special boxed-set of all the Futurams DVDs.


The Simpsons
By now I had been sitting in the same seat for over two hours, so I was ready for the final panel - The Simpsons. Once again, none of the actors were present, so it was just Matt and the directors. They did show some unfinished scenes from this year's Halloween episode, which will be shown before Halloween for once. After they finished the Q&A session, they had a surprise for Matt Groining. He was presented with a Guinness World Records plaque for the longest running sit-com, I think it was. This was a surprise for him and he thanked everyone that had ever worked on the show.

Once outside the room, I met my sister and two of her friends. Then we hooked up with two more friends and headed to Dublin Square for a late lunch, or early dinner. Afterwards, everyone else but me headed home. I wanted to see one more show, but there were still long lines to get into any room, even at 6 PM. So I left, got on the trolley and came home. After all, I still have one more day of geeky adventures.

No comments: