Thursday, July 23, 2009

Comic-Con 2009: Day 1

Stan Lee
So on Thursday at Comic-Con my plans were to see the action figure panel, Richard Hatch, Robot Chicken and Terry Gilliam. I saw none of these! Got there too late for the action figure discussion and as for the rest, the rooms were full and the waiting lines were long and not moving. The line for Hall H must of had 3000 people in it. The atendees were queued up like a ride at Disneyland. Thursday used to be the day where you could get into any room and walk the main floor with no problem. Now Thursday's are more crowded than Saturday's were 10 years ago.



However, you always need a backup plan. Sometimes the panels you know nothing about turn out to be the best. I was able to get a good seat for the Time Jumper panel which included Stan Lee, since it was his project. Time Jumper is a series of short, digital animated comic episodes that you can download from iTunes. Stan Lee is very feisty for an 86 year old man. He made everyone laugh with everything he said. They also showed the first episode, which seemed to be less than five minutes. The digital animation was cool and I enjoyed the story. Doubt I'll buy it, though. BTY, Stan Lee created (or co-created) Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Iron Man and the Hulk.



I spent time walking around the exhibit hall, taking various photos of whatever I found interesting. I don't normally photograph the people who dress up, since everyone else seems to do that, but there were a lot of good costumes being worn by true fans.

The second optional panel I attended was a BluRay discussion, which was sort of boring, but killed 30 minutes.



I also bought my first action figure, a Futurama 2-pack limited edition Fry and Leela from an alternate universe. It is 1 of 2000, but I'm not sure of the exact number, as in 305/2000. It might be labeled on the bottom of the figures feet, which means I'd have to open the box to see. I'll need to think about that.
By 4:30 I was already getting tired of walking, so I decided I'd see enough for one day and headed home. After all, I have three more days left. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to see more of the panels on my list.

No comments: