Sunday, March 19, 2006

Hiking Mt. Woodson from Lake Poway

West side of Mt. Woodson
For the second week in a row my friends and I hiked Mt. Woodson, only this time we made a round trip from the Lake Poway parking lot. Just like last Sunday, it was cold and there were threatening dark clouds looming overhead. We started our hike by walking at a good pace, stopping many times to rest. Hiking Mt. Woodson up this trail is quite strenuous as you climb up almost 2000 feet and travel about 6.4 miles total. It took us almost two hours to reach the top and about 1:20 to hike down. During our ascent, two groups of hikers passed us, making us look like a bunch of old men. However, I doubt any of those people will be hiking Mt. Whitney this summer. It only rained once during the hike and at the top it was cold and windy, but I can see how during the summer months it could get very hot and require more water than I brought today. This time I used two hiking poles and decided that two is better than one. There is no hike planned for next week unless we go on a short one while in Phoenix, but I don't really want to pack any extra gear for my four day vacation.

(Photo taken last weed - I forgot my camera today.)

No comments: