Monday, March 27, 2006

Camelback Mountain Hike

Rick and Steve climbing up.
Not even four days in the sun could stop us from hiking this weekend. We took time out from baseball viewing to hike Camelback Mountain in Phoenix, which was much tougher than I remember from two years ago. The elevation rises 1200 feet and the last stretch requires the use of your hands to climb steep, jagged rocks.The peak is in sight. However, I had summit fever and was determined to make it to the top. We saw plenty of hikers turn back, including one of our own, not prepared for the hot, dry air and strenuous climb. There were several places near the top where you have to walk on a very narrow ridge, with 1000 foot drop-offs on one side. I did my best to ignore this, hoping my boots wouldn't slip. We reached the summit and took time to rest and enjoy the view. Survivors However, we had a 1 PM game to get to so we scrambled back down, meeting up with the third member of our party and made it back to the van. Around midnight, after a full day of sun, food and beer, I basically collapsed on my bed and slept very soundly.

No comments: