Saturday, February 18, 2006

Car Repairs, Basketball and Free Beer

Yesterday I took my car into Toyota because the "check engine" light was on. The bad news was that they had to replace the catalytic converter and it was going to take all day. The good news was that it was under warranty so it was free for me. This was the second time I've had this problem with my 2001 RAV/4. The first time was at 20,600 miles. It seems that there was a problem with this model and many people had to get this work done. They also had to replace two air fuel sensors and two oxygen sensors both times. The repairs would have cost $1300. The car has 69,000 miles now so hopefully this is the last time I'll have to worry about catalytic converters.

Yesterday I watched a high school basketball game at my alma mater but was cheering for the other team which is coached by my friend. I felt torn between allegiances but I'll live with that. I never attended any school sporting events while I was in grade school, so it seems strange to start during my 30's. There was an episode of the Simpson's, I believe, where for some reason Bart said "I don't want to grow up to be one of those 35 year olds who show up to high school basketball games." I laughed at that joke but then wondered if that is how someone might see me. I go to these games with other friends and their families, so it is not like I'm hanging-out alone. My friend's team won and hopefully they made the playoffs which start this week.

Today I received a letter from Karl Strauss Brewery. I quickly opened it up hoping it was a gift certificate for $25 and it was! Last year I entered a contest by filling out an online survey about my experience at Karl Strauss in Carlsbad and they said 1/20 people would win $25. My sister bought the meal and we agreed that if I won I would use the certificate when she was with me. She always says, "free beer comes my way", and once again it has.

No comments: