Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Buy One Get Four Free

I'm talking about good old-fashion music CDs. Yes, I still buy CDs rather than individual songs as mp3s. However, the only time I buy a CD is when BMG music club has their buy one get four free special. After adding up the shipping and taxes, that comes out to about $32. Now, that seems like a lot for one CD, but it equals out to $6.40 per CD, which is a good price. The five CDs I bought have 60 songs, so that is about 50 cents per song, less than the standard 99 cents/song offered elsewhere. True, when you buy per song you only buy the songs you like, but I believe in listening to an album the way the artist intended, from start to finish in its entirety. If you like the artist, then even those songs that you may not enjoy at first tend to grow on you, exposing you to music you might not have otherwise heard. What is your opinion?

Added on 03/10/09: Just got an e-mail from BMG saying that they are no longer going have a club. There will a site to buy CDs, but on monthly offer and no more special deals like I discussed previously. Oh well. Guess it's time to go back to Limewire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly why I never bought 45s (singles).

Anonymous said...

I think you are talking to me there because I always skip around when I am listening to my cd's. The funny thing is, I have not bought any music in 4 years and have not stepped up into the downloading technology yet...

Homer Simpson said...

I don't know why I buy CDs still. At home I listen to the digital music from Time Warner Cable. In my car I listen to XM radio. Then I also have my iPod, where I am slowly converting my CDs to mp3s to play on.