Friday, February 15, 2008

View of Snow From Iron Mountain

Snow At Low Altitude Above Ramona
I went for a hike up Iron Mountain today hoping to get some good photos of the snow in the local San Diego mountains, and I couldn't believe how much snow there was and how low it had fallen. This photo is of Ramona, and you can see the hills above are covered with the white powder.

Actual Snow On Iron Mt.
What I was really hoping to see was snow on Iron Mountain. As I was nearing to top, I spotted this patch of icy snow along side the trail. There were other places of snow further up, mostly in the shade as it was melting quick.




At the top of the mountain, I had a panoramic view of all the snow from Palomar to Laguna. There were snow covered mountains in the distance which were probably in San Bernadino.



Snow on Palomar
This is the most snow I've ever seen on Palomar Mountain. I'm sure many people will be heading up to the mountains this weekend with their children, hoping to find a place to play in the snow.

More Snow
Another photo of snow. The hike up the hill was nice. Very few people, lots of sun and not too cold. The wind was stronger on the west side, and I'm glad I wore my wind-breaker. I had another jacket in my backpack but didn't need it. I was surprised by how much water there was flowing in the small, usually dry, creeks. In fact, I had to cross a dozen very small streams on the way up, plus walk though mud, which is what hiking is all about!


Large Airplane
You always see lots of private and military airplanes when you go on this hike. This large transport was banking to the right, probably getting ready to land at Miramar. I used my camera's zoom to get this shot, and somehow it came out very clear. I really like my new camera. I'll be posting a movie I took of the snow later.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Wow, what an amazing view!