Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Hiking Camelback Mountain

Echo Canyon Trailhead

For the third year in a row we hiked Camelback Mountain in Phoenix. This year we decided to hike up from the west side, which is slightly shorter but much steeper than the east side. We got an early start, as the temperature was expected to reach 100 degrees. We in fact lucked out because we were in the shade most of the way up, being on the west side of the mountain. Pictured above is the beginning of the trail, and you can see Steve getting his pack ready and Mike already headed up.

Camelback Mountain

Once the man-made steps end, the natural trail begins. This is the steepest portion of the hike, and the steepest trail I have ever climbed. They built a rail into the rocks to help you up, so I just powered my way up with my arms. In fact, this hike required lots of arm use on the way up and down. My arms hurt in strange places the next day, as well as my legs. I can see why people enjoy this hike. There were even some hikers running up and down. Most were younger than me, some were older.

Steve, Mike and I at the Top

It takes about an hour to reach the top. At one point, the top seems so far and high up, and then suddenly you are there. For all the people I saw hiking up, I was surprised how few were at the top. I wouldn't be surprised if many who attempt this hike don't make it, especially those who are not prepared, hiking without water and such. Yes, we all look a little worn out, except for Mike, the young one in the group, who led the whole way up.

Homer at the Top

Proof that I made it. We got back down, which was almost harder, drank our traditional beer in the parking lot, and drove back to the hotel to get ready for the day. We still had a baseball game, happy hour and an evening in Tempe at The Library.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the gravity defying sideways walking.

Brad

Homer Simpson said...

I went to all the trouble to rotate this photo 90 degrees CCW in Photoshop and somehow blogger rotated it back. The picture came out well as the rocks were well lit by the sun.

Homer Simpson said...

Just hiked this again and it is so popular there is a constant stream of people the whole way up and parking is so bad they now offer shuttle service for $5.