Friday, June 10, 2005

Young, Rich, White Women

What am I talking about? The media reporting constantly about something bad happening to young, rich, white women. Example: Natalee Holloway (disappeared in Aruba), Jennifer Willbanks (Runaway Bride), Danville van Dam (murdered by neighbor), Laci Peterson (killed at Christmas time) and Elizabeth Smart (kidnapped in Utah). Why do we care? People die everyday. Is it media hipe? Yes. Is it news? Maybe. Do I care? Yes. Why? I can't say. Let's just say that when I found out that Elizabeth Smart was found alive that I was very happy and was in good mood all day. Since I was about to travel to Salt Lake City soon, I did have somewhat of a connection, but not knowing the victim or her family, why did I care? Media hipe. Just now I see in the news that Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teenager who disappeared in Aruba, is probably dead. One of three suspects confessed to killing her - very sad. We all knew that this might happen, but were hoping for the best. Is she the first person to be killed in Aruba? Probably not. So why do we care? Because she is a young, rich, white woman. End of blog.

1 comment:

Karen said...

It's very sad that no one cares about the women in all the Third World countries that disappear daily. Or that we never hear about the women of color who disappear in the US.