Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Star Wars Trilogy DVD

Over the past two weekends I watched the Star Wars trilogy DVDs, which include episodes 4 to 6, plus a DVD of bonus material. My first thought after watching the movies on DVD for the first time - I need a bigger television. My 10 year old 27 inch RCA TV just doesn't work for movies like Star Wars. If I had thousands of dollars burning a hole in my pocket then I'd buy a new high-definition TV. Since I don't, I'll just wait until my current set breaks and make a decision then. However, I could tell that the video was much improved on the DVD over how it looks on VHS tape. My sound system is half way decent and my livingroom walls were shaking nicely during the louder action scenes. As far as the changes that George Lucas made on top of the special editions, I wouldn't have noticed unless I was told in advance, except for the final scene with the replaced Anakin Skywalker. The highlight of the bonus material is a 2 1/2 hour documentary called "Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy". They spend almost one hour showing how Star Wars came to be, and I had no idea how many problems George Lucas encountered during the whole process. It was quite interesting to me, however, I'm sure much of what was discussed is known by all Star Wars die-hards. I didn't listen to any of the audio commentaries, and I normally don't. The problem I have is that I end up trying to listen to the movie dialog in the background and have a hard time concentrating on the commentary. Plus sometime the commentary can be quite boring. One more note, there is a hidden feature on the bonus disc, or an "Easter egg", as they are called. I don't see how anyone could figure this one out. On the games menu, type "11", then "3" then "8" and you get a five minute "bloopers" reel. I get the "1138" reference, but how would someone figure out when to enter this sequence of numbers? I found out from Hidden Features, a site that lists numerous Easter eggs for hundreds of DVDs. Stay tuned for my review of "Star Wars: Episode III, Revenge of the Sith" in May of 2005. I can hardly wait!

1 comment:

Karen said...

For die hard SW fans, many of those changes are a sore subject. Why mess with the lighting in the sky city? Why do we need more Jabba? Why do we have to have young Anakin at the end of Jedi? Why, George, Why?