Sunday, September 19, 2004

DSL vs. Cable

I just got through installing SBC Yahoo DSL for a friend. SBC was going to charge $150 for the installation, which is a ripoff. However, it took me over two hours of my time to install a network card, get the DSL service working, activate the account and configure the e-mail. The end result is that I dislike DSL even more now than I did before. To install a cable modem, all you have to do is connect the coaxial cable to your modem and the modem to your computer. Then run any browser, like Internet Explorer, and you are connected to the internet. SBC Yahoo requires you to install software, run a special browser that requires a login, and the default page is cluttered with extra icons, links and other junk. Plus, you cannot change your home page. I would strongly recommend to anyone who asks me about DSL or cable that they should get a cable modem if available in their area.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I love my SBC Yahoo DSL. I installed myself and it only took a few minutes. i put one plug in the phone line and the cable in the computer port.

You can edit your home page to get rid of the junk and format it how you like. The login is for security and you don't have to login all the time. I also got the special deal where it was only $26 a month for the first year.

I guess I'm lucky because cable was not an option. My condo is too old to be wired correctly for cable so I had no choice except DSL.

Homer Simpson said...

I wondered if SBC Yahoo was more complicated than it should have been. They are just trying to force people to access DS: using their login and browser so they can get more money through advertising.