Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Fun With Wireless Connections

I have finally entered the world of wireless computing. My new computer has a built-in wireless adapter. Currently I have it connected directly to my non-wireless router for Internet access, but soon I'll buy a wireless router so I can use the laptop anywhere in the house. However, for the fun of it I checked to see if there were any wireless connections already available, and there were! Four of them. In fact, I was able to connect to 3 of the 4 and access the Internet. Only one asked for a password - it had WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) enabled, the others were open to the public. I guess I have three neighbors that don't know about securing their wireless connections, or they don't care. Now, of course, I'm not going to use their connection, because it really isn't legal, some say. There is still much debate on that. I think of it like if a neighbor's fruit tree is growing over the fence into your yard, you can pick the fruit that is on your property. So my neighbor's wireless frequencies are on my property, therefor I should be able to "pick" them. If you have a wireless router, you should enable WEP, choose a good, strong password, and also limit access by MAC (not related to Apple) address, so only your computers can use it. Hopefully soon I'll be able to take my own advice and test this theory.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Free wireless is one of the wonderful things in life! I always scan for signals of local home networks when traveling. That's how I could connect at home when I first moved into the new house.