Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve Light Viewing

Spending Christmas at home this year, I had time to take my traditional Christmas Eve drive around the neighborhood looking at Christmas lights. This was a tradition in my family when I was young. My dad had everyone pile into the Ford station wagon on a night around Christmas, and we'd drive around the neighborhood looking at the Christmas lights. When I got older, we stopped making this drive, but then I began to take the trip on my bicycle. Back then I was a lot braver, not afraid to ride my bike at night with my wheel generator light. I remember one year, I was riding my bike after dark on a road a few miles from my house and I thought I heard someone call my name. So road a little farther up the road and then turned around back to the place and I saw a girl walking alone. I realized that it was Julie, a girl I knew from my science class. To this day I have no idea how she knew it was me. I was riding fast, wearing a thick jacket and there were no street lights. So tonight I took the Mustang out and drove by the rich people's houses in Scripps Ranch. These people electricity bill must be huge, with all the lights and animated snowmen I saw. I heard no body call my name this time. So back home I drove to watch football and drink a Christmas beer. Tomorrow I think I'll take a drive up to the mountains to enjoy the fresh, crisp, cold air and snap a few photos while I'm there.

No comments: