Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Must Defend the Fort

Me at Castell De MontjuicI'm defending Barcelona from attackers by sea. I'm not sure when this gun was last used, but it doesn't look that old. It sits outside a fort at the top of a hill, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. We took the Metro (subway) to get to the base of the hill just to find out that the Funicular was under repair. There was a bus that took us up most of the way, but we had to walk the rest (no one else was walking up the path). Olympic StadiumFrom the fort we walked down to the Olympic stadium and then the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (MNAC). The Olympic doesn't look like it has been used much in the past year. Perhaps a soccer game or two. At this point I regretted not bringing my jacket, the temperature was turning cold and the wind picked up. I was glad to enter the MNAC to warm up. We purchased our tickets and proceeded to wander the four different rooms, which included art and sculptures from Roman, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and modern.MNAC CeilingThere were people in each room that watched you very carefully to make sure you don't take photos or get too close to any exhibit. I tried to read some of the descriptions of the art work but after a while it just became a string of meaningless words. I'm sure my college humanities professor would have been proud of me for at least trying to learn something new. After a few hours it was time to head back to the hotel. A short walk to the Metro where we zipped to a stop near our hotel for a short break before dinner.

No comments: