Monday, July 26, 2004

Comic-Con: Day 3

Saturday at the Comic-Con is always the best as well as the most crowded. You get used to being hit by backpacks, lightsabers and angel wings. The first panel I attended was The Simpsons with Matt Groening and various producers and directors. The discussed the upcomming season 17 and answered questions. No big announcements, but it is always fun to hear Matt speak. He admitted that he has been attending the Comic-Con as a fan since 1978, which would explain the episode of The Simpsons in which he appeared as himself at a comic convention.

Due to an overlap in programming, I missed this years Star Wars Spectacular with Steve Sansweet. Other than his announcement of the title for Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, I didn't miss his babbling rhetoric about how great the Star Wars universe is. In the afternoon, I attended a panel on action figure sub-culture. It was interesting to her about the state of the action figure/toy industry from the presidents and artists of small-time toy companies.

I sat through the last part of the Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow panel, which didn't impress me. I guess I'm not a Jude Law fan. I was really there in Hall H to see the next presentation: The Grudge. The two co-stars were there, Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy) and Jason Behr. This was Sarah's first appearance at the Comic-Con and she handled the audience like a seasoned convention pro. She was funny and witty, and had no  problem answering the obsessive fan's questions. She even read a list she wrote of why this was her first time at the Comic-Con. Her number one reason was: There isn't enough merchandise with my damn picture on it!

After a dinner that included my first boxty, an Irish food, and some more beer, I returned to the Con to watch the Worst Cartoons ever. Some of these cartoons were so bad they were funny. Others were so bad they were painful to watch. The guy behind me was laughing so much I had to move because he got annoying. Finally, I went to the Masquerade Party/overflow out in the "sail area". They needed an overflow for the overflow! There was no room to watch the show on the screen that was set up. So I headed to the trolley and then home.


No comments: