Saturday, July 22, 2006

Comic-Con 2006 Day 3



Well, it may have finally happened. Comic-Con (almost) got too crowded to be fun. The day started out with an early walk down the streets of downtown in search of breakfast in what must have been the hottest morning temperature ever in San Diego. By the time we sat down for breakfast, I was dripping with sweat. So why I ordered a coffee I'll never know. However, the Ploughman's Boxty hit the spot for a hearty meal.

My sister and I then walked towards the Convention Center, but waited in the shade across the street until they opened all the doors. People were flowing down the streets of downtown towards the center like the flood gates had busted open. Once inside the main hall, we walked around for a while before I journeyed up to see the Simpson's panel. I got in what I thought was the line just to find out that the end of the line was way back around the corner. Since I didn't want to wait, I checked out the art show and then walked back to ballroom 20. The people who had left after watching the Lost panel had cleared out the room, but they were not letting people in yet, even though it was 15 minutes past the start time for Matt Groening to speak. What is their problem at Comic-Con? Just let everyone in and keep the show running on time! Well, I had seen Matt Groening talk many times before, and even though they probably showed a preview of a new episode, I didn't want to waist my time in a ever-growing line that might never move. So I went back downstairs and walked around some more until I realized that I needed to sit to rest my legs.

Sometimes the best presentations are the ones you catch by accident. There was room in 6CDEF for the Quick Draw event. They had three comic artists that were drawing sketches as quickly as they could, either as a contest to see who could draw the best in a short time or they had to draw pre-chosen words that a special guest had to guess, such as "you", "quick" or the toughest was "Styrofoam". It was all very amusing and I'm glad I was there to see it.

One of the artists was Scott Shaw, who every year has his Oddball Comics slideshow. I had seen him years before and even though I don't collect or even read comics, I found it funny. So after a late lunch at Rock Bottom Brewery, I found a seat and even though I was falling asleep in the beginning (thanks to the beer - again), I was soon laughing my ass off. Not only are the comic book covers he showed really strange, but his take on them made them that much funnier. His show ended at 7, which is the end of most events at the Con. Nothing was happening until 8:30, and I knew there was no way I was getting in to watch the masquerade, so I left and hopped onto the trolley.

I do plan on coming back on Sunday, where I might buy a few more action figures and catch one or two more panels.

1 comment:

Karen said...

The con was closed to walk-ins around 12:00. That was the first time ever! It was so crowded that I never did make the full circuit of the dealer's room.