Thursday, July 20, 2006

Comic-Con 2006 Day 1

Xander and Cordelia
Simpsons Couch Gag
Yoda
Homies Seriers 4
Family Guy Series 5

I just got home from the first day of Comic-Con 2006 here in warm and sunny San Diego. I arrived around 2PM after ditching work (not really). Since I picked up my badge the day before I didn't have to stand in any lines, allowing me to walk in and start wandering the endless exhibit hall. After about an hour I head up to room 24A to hear Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry Jr., the son of the creator of Star Trek, talk about, what else but Star Trek. I arrived about 10 minutes early just to find out that the room was full and they were not letting anyone else in. Apparently they are enforcing the "no standing in the room" policy this year. There seems to be more of those clueless Elite Security personal this year, who are about as useful as an extra wearing a red uniform in the original Star Trek series. I guess Comic-Con planners didn't expect so many people to attend this panel so they held it in a really small room. What were they thinking? It is Star Trek!

So back to the hall I went, where I ended up buying some action figures, including two new Buffy/Dawn figures, a Lean-Luc Picard Comic-Con exclusive and the entire set of Homies series four. Yes, my taste in collectibles is all over the place. As five approached, I went upstairs to attend a panel on action figures, appropriately enough. There were representatives from about eight different companies there and they responded to all questions with both serious and humorous replies. They were going to raffle off some actions figures, but due to time constraints they just gave everybody in attendance a free figure! You had no choice what you received, but like the guy said - they are free. I ended up with a Halo 2 Heritic Elite figure, which I don't really want. Anyone want it?

From there I headed home to recover for the next three days. This will be a long and fun-filled weekend.

No comments: