Saturday, May 15, 2004

Xyst

What does "Xyst" mean? I will explain soon. I recently saw Dennis DeYoung, formerly of Styx, perform with the San Diego symphony. I had been wanting to see him solo in concert for almost 20 years, ever since he released his first solo album, Desert Moon, in 1984. I had see him perform with Styx three times and had enjoyed each concert. But at this show I got to see Dennis DeYoung do more than sing. He told jokes and made the audience laugh. He let other singers perform while he watched from back stage. Dennis DeYoung still has a great singing voice and knows how to perform in front of a live audience. I had never seen the San Diego Symphony before, and they were a great accompaniment to the music of Styx. I am glad I went to the concert. So how does "Xyst" fit in? Well "Xyst" is the name of a game that I wrote on an Atari 800 back in 1981. "Xyst" comes from Styx, my favorite band of all times. "Xyst" was written in Basic and the object of the game was to have each band member find their instruments in a series of rooms. The only copy of the game exists on a 5 1/4 floppy disc in my closet - I hope it still works. Yes, I do have the Atari 800 still.

No comments: