Sunday, May 17, 2009

Oakzanita Peak Hike

A view of Cuyamaca Peak from Oakzanita Peak
Yesterday I went on a hike with three friends. We hiked to the top of Oakzanita Peak which is located in the Cuyamaca Mountain Range. The trail-head is at 4000 feet and the peak at 5050 feet, with a 5.5 mile round trip. The trail is pretty well maintained and never very steep. It was still somewhat green and there was water flowing in the small creek you have to step over near the bottom. This trail was way less crowded than others, partly because it is located on the edge of the park. We only saw five over hikers on the trail. Overall the hike too three hours, but we spent about 20 minutes at the summit. It was warm, but there was a nice breeze to cool you off. The view was excellent, but because there was fog near the coast you could not see the ocean. On a clear day you can see much more I was told.

Me at the top of Oakzanita Peak

On the way down we encountered three hikers headed up. At first I didn't think it was strange that they asked if there was anyone else on the trail, but later we began to wonder why they wanted to know. At first I said the other hikers looked like mountain men because on had a beard. But pretty soon the story grew and we said they were hillbillies with chainsaws looking to sacrifice some unsuspecting hiker. It made for a good laugh.

The group at the peak

On the drive back home, one of the Marks wanted to stop in Alpine to fill a jug with been from the Alpine brewing company. I had never heard of this brewery, and while we were there they gave us a free sample. I had the Captain Stout which I liked. Mark filled his jug with the Bad Boy double IPA. Later we drank a pint of this 8% alcohol and it was definitely a double IPA. For lunch we ate at Casa De Pico in La Mesa, the restaurant that used to be located in Old Town San Diego. I had the fish enchalada with rice and been, plus a strawberry margarita. A great after-hike meal. By the time I got home I was exhausted and took a short nap. I felt like I already had a full day. The hiking and eating and spending time with friends took my mind of the nightmare I face at work every day. Now I'm looking forwards to a four-day weekend next week.


No comments: