Monday, November 06, 2006

Big Bear Lake

Big Bear Lake

On Friday I got unexpectedly invited to stay the weekend at a cabin at Big Bear Lake. So Saturday morning I quickly packed and drove up to the mountains with a friend of mine who knows the owner of the cabin. Saturday evening we hung out in the cabin for a while before heading to diner. I enjoyed my food but no one else did. Then we went to a bar at The Village where a band was playing. So after we arrived, the three people who had been at Big Bear since Friday got tired and left. So the rest of us stayed, drank beer, listed to music and even danced a little.

Me Above Big Bear Lake

Sunday morning, after not sleeping so well on a hard floor, we went to breakfast and then drove around the lake to the trailhead for our hike. The hike ended up being almost six miles round trip. Now this was the first hike I had been on since Mt. Whitney, so I wasn't in good hiking shape. I was doing fine until the trip down, and my knees began to hurt so much I could hardly walk. I did finally make it down, last as usual.

Hiking Group

After lunch it was already time to pack up and drive home. The drive home was easier because there was much less traffic at the dreaded I215/91/60 interchange in Riverside. On the way up we missed our turn, due to traffic, construction and poorly labeled exit signs. My stay at Big Bear was a nice weekend getaway and I feel more relaxed than I did last week.

No comments: