Saturday, July 23, 2005

Strange Summer Weather

I woke up last night around 3:30 AM to the distant sound of rumbling thunder. Looking out my bedroom window, which faces the east, I saw the brilliant flashes of lightening illuminating the sky. Some of the bolts of lightening branched out in a web-like pattern, producing a wonderful natural light show. Because it was so hot, I had my window and blinds open which made the thunder much louder. As the hour ticked on, the storm got closer until I heard a strange sound - rain! It actually rained for about an hour, and I continued to hear thunder until almost 6 AM. Summer thundershowers are not unheard of here, but still very rare. Apparently this storm is being driven my the remnants of Hurricane Emily, which formed in the Caribbean and moved west over Mexico. The best part of this storm is that the cloud cover has cooled the air and now my house is around 74 degrees (yesterday it was almost 90 inside).

No comments: